Ayurvedic Treatment for Knee Joint Pain in Kerala
Saatwika Ayurveda offers best Ayurvedic Treatment for Knee Joint Pain in Kerala Centre. In this fast paced World diseases of any kind whether mild or severe can cause discomfort to day-to-day life. Knee joint supports the body as well as helps in our daily bodily activities like walking, running, standing etc. It is a strong joint and is a synovial hinge joint made up of three bones namely femur, tibia and patella. The joint surfaces have synovial cartilage which protects the knee joint along with meniscus-a fibro cartilage. The joint contains synovial fluid produced by synovial membrane surrounding the joint which helps in lubrication and protection of the joint. Ligaments like cruciate ligaments support the joint as well. Ayurvedic Treatment for Knee Joint Pain in Kera is very effective.
Reasons of Knee Joint Pain
Knee pain can be due to injuries or conditions affecting any part of knee joint including bones, ligaments, cartilage etc. It can be localized or involve the whole knee joint. Causes of knee joint pain are diverse in character.
- Degenerative conditions like Osteoarthritis
- Damage happened to cartilages
- Uric acid accumulations and gout
- Autoimmune conditions which affect joints like Rheumatoid arthritis
- Traumatic tear of ligaments, meniscus etc.
- Dislocation of patella
- Bone tumors
- Bleeding and inflammation due to rupture of blood vessels as a result of trauma
- Lack of physical activity or overuse of joint
- Bad postures
- Inflammation of tendons and bursitis
- Age related conditions
Symptoms of knee joint pain
- Difficulty in movements like flexion or extension i.e. stretching of the legs
- Signs of inflammation like redness, increased local temperature, pain and tenderness, swelling of the joint etc.
- Crunchy noises from the joint while moving
- Weakness of the joint and leg
- Stiffness of the joint
- Inability or difficulty to walk and lift weights
- Knee instability
Precautions to avoid or reduce knee joint pain are,
- Before doing physical activities like sports or heavy works or exercise, try to practice warm ups. This will improve the blood flow to the joint as well as reduce the stiffness. This in turn reduces the damages and degeneration to the joints in long term.
- Try to avoid heavy exercises, lifting heavy weights without proper precautions etc. Choose the exercises according to the strength of the body and always take necessary precautions to avoid damages. Using knee caps while lifting heavy weights can give some sort of support to the knees.
- Increased body weight is a factor which gives more strain to the knee joints. This leads to gradual degeneration of the joints and later knees will get damaged because of its inability to support the body. So to overcome overweight or obesity is a must for knee joint health. Weight reduction can be achieved through proper and simple exercises, avoidance of alcohol, smoking etc and following a well balanced nutrient diet.
- If walking through rough terrains old aged people should use supporting sticks. Use foot wears and knee caps.
- Avoid long physical inactivity.
- Reduce steroid drug usages
- Practice Yoga postures
- Reduce the frequency of driving vehicles.
- Give proper rest to joints after physical works.
- Proper sleep and healthy diet should be followed.
Ayurveda seems to be the most effective treatment for knee joint pain. ‘Janu sandhi shoola’ is the Ayurvedic term for knee joint pain. It appears in many diseases due to aggravation of Vata dosha. Sandhigathavatha is the term for osteoarthritis and Vatashonitha is the term for rheumatoid arthritis. In all these conditions knee joint pain is mentioned. As the major factor is vitiation of Vata dosha, the treatment is general line of treatment of Vatavyadhi or diseases due to Vata dosha.
If inflammatory conditions are there reduction of inflammation is the first step to take. Local application of medicated powders mixed with sour liquids is used. Jadamayadi choorna is a commonly used one. Try to avoid use of any kind of oils on inflammations as it leads to increase in the inflammatory condition. If inflammation is subsided move for local fomentation and oleation procedures. Internal administration of medicines also needed along with. Panchakarma therapies can be done according to the severity of the condition.
If the pain is due to dislocation or fractures, proper reduction and bandages should be adopted. Application of oils like Murivenna can be done. Regular bandage and oil application has to be done along with internal medications.
If the pain is due to knee damage caused by obesity, proper care should be taken to reduce the body weight. Udwarthana is a procedure, which uses medicated powders for massaging. It helps to reduce body fat and thereby body weight.
To reduce the pain local treatments can also be adopted. Janu vasthi is a procedure in which warm medicated oil is kept over the affected knee for a minimum of half an hour a day. Local application of pain relieving lepanas like ‘Karutha marmani vattu’ mixed in egg white is good to reduce pain due to trauma.
Internal use of medicated ghrithas/ ghees and tailas/ oils gives strength to the joints. Daily abhyanga or oil massage of the joints is advocated for strength, health and flexibility of the joints.
Calcium containing food items like milk and milk products should be added in the diet. Oily and fatty foods should be avoided. Vata aggravating foods like excess sweet, salt and sour should be avoided. Avoid usage of curd, pickles, dry fish, dry meat etc. Practice Yoga and Pranayama for the better joint health.
Ayurveda provides preventive as well as curative aspects of knee joint health. The daily regimen mentioned as per Ayurveda classics if followed properly can ward off any kind of diseases. As far as knee joint is concerned, it is one of the most important supporting structures of the body and so its health is absolute necessity for the health and maintenance of the body.