Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight Reduction
Ayurveda can help to control most of the lifestyle diseases like Obesity, diabetes etc by natural therapies and lifestyle modifications. Obesity is one of the major health problems which leads to many diseases and even cardiac problems. So it is very necessary to control the body weight. Our slimming programme is helpful for reducing body weight and extra accumulated fat in our body by enhancing the fat metabolism. It includes treatments like Udwarbanam, Dhanyamladhara, Choornapinda swedam, herbal steam bath, Virechana etc and intake of herbal medicines specially made for reducing fat. A special diet and lifestyle modification are also recommended during the time of treatment.
- The major cause is eating habits itself. (Eating in between meals, over intake of sweets, refined foods, and fats)
- The composition of the diet
- The periodicity of the diet.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Psychosocial factors lie emotional disturbances which can lead to overeating.
- Familial factors.
- Hormonal abnormalities like Cushing’s syndrome.
- Lack of health awareness.
- Use of drugs like corticosteroids.
- Genetic factors.
Increased BMI and body size or weight, lack of body flexibility are the major symptoms of Obesity
- Increased morbidity
- Type 2 diabetes
- Hypertension and cardiovascular diseases like coronary heart disease.
- Cancers especially the hormonally related and large bowel cancers.
- Polycystic ovarian disease and infertility.
- Liver diseases like fatty liver
- Sexual problems like erectile dysfunction
- Joint diseases like osteoarthritis of knees, hips and lumbar spine
- A low backache
- Varicose veins
- An abdominal hernia
- Depression and disability
- Social isolation
- Lower work performance
- Breathing disorders
- Gallbladder disease
- Cosmetic issues
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
Kerala Ayurvedic Treatment for Weight reduction or Obesity
Obesity in Ayurveda is a ‘Santharpana janya vyadhi’ or a disease due to overnutrition. It is known by the name Sthoulya in Ayurveda. It is said to have developed by increased intake of ‘rasa dhathu’ which due to impairment in Agni or digestive power leads to blockade of Srotas or channels carrying the dhathu and gets converted as medas or fat.The treatment obviously is weight reduction. Ayurveda recommends ‘guru’ foods (foods which causes heaviness with even low quantity intake) in low quantities for an obese person. Medicines and food which have the property to lean the body are to be given. Wise use of Kashayas and Choorna which induce agnibala or digestive power can be used. Externally rooksha treatments like Choorna Pinda Sweda, Udwarthana etc can be used. As supportive measure Yoga can be practiced along with internal and external medications. Use of Kanmada Rasayana is advised in obesity. Increase in agnibala, gradual diversion to healthy diet and lifestyle is the method adopted.
Major treatment procedures to reduce weight are
- Udwarthana or powder massage
- Dhanyamla Dhara
- Choorna Pinda Sweda
- Steam bath