Ayurvedic Treatment For Psoriasis in Kerala
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis in Kerala includes herbal medication, external application of herbal pastes, abhyanga with medicinal oils, Shirodhara, and panchakarma treatments to cleanse the body.
Our Ayurvedic Package for Psoriasis treatment in Kerala is 21 days of comprehensive treatment.
It aims to purify the body, Improve digestion, strengthen and tone the tissues of the skin, relieve stress, and improve the lifestyle. Diet recommendations and lifestyle modifications are suggested in the Ayurvedic packages for psoriasis in Kerala
What is psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory condition of unknown cause affecting around 2 per cent of the population.
It may be very localized but can affect the entire body surface area.
It can be associated with nail changes and joint disease.
Increasingly, it is recognized that it is associated with metabolic syndrome and a worse cardiovascular risk profile.
Common signs and symptoms of Psoariaisis
- Red patches of skin covered with thick silvery scales. Patches can range from few spots of dandruff-like scaling to major eruptions that cover large areas.
- Dry and cracked skin. It may be associated with bleeding
- Burning sensation
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Swollen and stiff joints
Causes of Psoriasis
- Heredity – if one parent is affected, there is a 15% chance of the child getting the disease and 60% if both the parents are affected.
- Consumption of incompatible foods (such as fish and milk together)
- Excessive smoking
- Alcohol consumption
- Mental stress
- Psychological trauma
Different Types of psoriasis
1.Chronic Plaque Psoriasis
This is the commonest form of psoariasis.
It causes dry, raised, red skin lesions (plaques) covered with silvery scales.
It is associated with itching and is painful. These have a predilection for extensor surfaces, notably elbows, knees, and sacrum.
It can affect fingernails and toenails, causing pitting, abnormal nail growth, and discolouration.
It can result in separation of the nail from the nail bed called onycholysis.
It is marked by small, water drop shaped, scaling lesions on trunk, arms, legs, and scalp. It primarily affects young adults and children.
Marked by smooth patches of red and inflamed skin.
Mainly affects the skin of armpit, in the groin, under breasts, and around genitals.
Presents with pus-filled blisters appearing just hours after the skin becomes red and tender. It is associated with fever, chills, diarrhoea and itching.
A least common type of psoriasis.
Here the entire body is covered with a red, peeling rash that can itch or burn intensely.
In addition to a presentation on the skin, it causes swollen, painful joints.
It can affect any joints.
Causes stiffness and progressive joint damage.
Is Psoriasis contagious? or Infective?
- No, it is not contagious. It does not spread from person to person due to the skin to skin contact.
- Touching a person with the disease does not transmit the disease.
Diagnosis of Psoriasis
- Psoriasis is diagnosed by physical examination of the skin, medical history and relevant family health history.
- Lab tests like microscopic examination of skin tissues from the skin biopsy are done sometimes.
Psoriasis in Ayurveda
Skin diseases are generally included in Kushta in Ayurveda.
There are eighteen types of kushta are described in Ayurveda.
7 among them are called mahakushta and 11 are called rudrakushta. . Psoriasis is correlated to Sidhmakushta.
It occurs due to an imbalance of two doshas- Vata and Kapha.
Due to various causes, Vata and Kapha get vitiated and cause accumulation of toxins, these toxins get accumulated in deep tissues like rasa (plasma), rakta (blood), mamsa (muscle), lasika (lymph).
These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues leading to psoriasis.
Our Ayurvedic Treatment Package for Psoriasis in Kerala
To treat Psoriasis it requires a minimum of 21 days treatment. We provide result-oriented treatment for psoriasis in our Trivandrum centre.
Primary aims of our psoriasis treatments are as follows
- Purification of blood and tissues is the primary aim of Ayurvedic treatment.
- Toxins are cleansed from the body and the digestion restored to prevent further accumulation.
- Nourishing herbs are then administered to strengthen and tone the tissues to promote complete healing of the skin.
- Purification of toxins is done mainly by Vamana procedure which is preceded by required snehapana using medicated ghee.
- Takradhara is also a treatment choice as it relieves stress to a great extent. Its cooling property relieves stress and diseases like psoriasis have a very great psychological influence on patient leading to mental trauma. So treatments are intended to reduce stress.
- External applications cannot solely rely on and it is applied only after the treatment is done internally.
- Diet and regimen are equally important as medicines in case of psoriasis as chances of recurrence are high.
14 important things psoriasis patient should follow
- Do not drink cold water or take a bath or shower in cold water immediately after and coming out of the sun or after sweating.
- Avoid wearing thick clothes or clothes made from polyester material.
- Try not to sleep immediately after meals, especially during the daytime.
- Avoid working in extreme heat and walking in the sun.
- Eat on time and drink water only after completing the meals.
- Those who sit in AC for an extended period must exercise for at least half an hour during the winter and rainy seasons.
- Take a bath in water boiled using medicinal herbs such as nalpaamaram ( which is a combination of the powder prepared from the barks of four trees: fig, ithi, peepal, banyan )
- Psoriasis patients must have regular bowel movements. For this particular ayurvedic medicines can be taken. Also, try not to retain from passing urine when you feel the urge to urinate.
- Depending on the weather, especially during the summer, winter, and rainy seasons, some medicines should be taken as prescribed by the Ayurvedic doctor.
- A physician must carefully monitor the changes in our body according to the humidity in the atmosphere and the night’s length.
- Mandatory enema once a month as prescribed by the physician.
- It is never a good idea to take a soap bath more than once a day. Limit the usage of soap. Regular use of pea powder is also not advisable for psoriasis patients, especially when itching is severe.
- Ensure at least six hours of uninterrupted sleep at night.
- Psoriasis patients with more stress should make sure their prayer times are accurate. Those who do not have this habit can perform simple pranayama practices according to yoga rules for half an hour every day. New scientific studies confirm the association and connection between the mind and the skin.
Saatwika Ayurveda offers the best Ayurvedic Treatment for psoriasis in Kerala Centre.
16 Diet Tips for psoriasis Patients
Foods that help you to treat psoriasis
- Use any grains such as rice and wheat that are at least six months old. Fresh grains can worsen the disease.
- Try to include Old wheat, roasted rice and rye rice, etc., in the diet.
- Prepare dishes using eggplant and shallots to include in the diet.
- Also, psoriasis patients can make sure to grow hogweed (sterling plant) in their houses. Prepare curry or dishes from the leaves of these plants and consume them at least once a week.
- Use only water boiled with medicinal karingali for drinking purposes.
- Try to add more turmeric to the food you prepare.
- Daily consume a gooseberry.
- For a psoriasis patient to have a healthy life, he or she must follow a vegetarian diet.
- Make sure you avoid this food combination from your diet, fish and buttermilk, fish and curd.
- Psoriasis patients should avoid curd from the diet.
- Include leafy vegetables daily in the diet.
- Try to know and avoid food that causes heartburn ( it varies from person to person)
- Reduce intake of hot and spicy food, also reduce food containing lots of fat.
- Reduce the consumption of tea and coffee.
- Eat only when you feel hungry. Avoid the habit of eating even when you are not feeling hungry.
- Avoid intake of cold drinks and other cold water along with hot foods.
Read the related blog, Diet for Psoriasis Patients in India