Menstruation is not an illness but an activity of the body. It is the sign of fertility and of womanhood
Menstrual Disorders and Ayurveda
Puberty is a difficult phase in life that brings about a lot of physical and mental stress in young adults, especially girls. Girls begin to menstruate during this phase.
For earlier generations, menses would generally start by the age of fourteen to fifteen.
But now girls jump to womanhood by the age of ten to eleven associated with a great amount of physical and emotional stress.
There are different types of menstrual disorders and diseases that result in menstrual disorders. We have proper Ayurvedic Treatments for menstrual disorders in Kerala.
Absence of periods is called amenorrhoea.
It is of two types ;
Primary amenorrhoea is not getting the first period by the age of sixteen. It is due to a disorder of pituitary gland or is congenital.
Secondary amenorrhoea is not getting regular periods for six months or more.
Ruling out pregnancy, this can be due to thyroid dysfunction like hyperthyroidism, ovarian cysts, any change in hormone levels etc,
- Extremely painful menstruation is called dysmenorrhoea.
- In this condition, menstruation is associated with excruciating abdominal pain.
- Nausea, diarrhoea or heavy blood loss may co-exist with dysmenorrhoea.
- These can be linked to an underlying medical problem such as fibroids, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, abnormal tissue growth outside the uterus ( endometriosis ).
- Heavy or prolonged vaginal bleeding with the menstrual cycle is called menorrhagia.
- It can be due to hormonal imbalance, IUD use, side effects of medication, endometrial polyp, fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis, etc.
It is abnormal bleeding occurring when the tissue normally found only in the uterus starts to grow anywhere outside ie; it can be in ovaries, fallopian tubes or other parts of pelvic cavity.
Signs and symptoms include
- Painful menstruation or dysmenorrhoea
- Pain on sexual intercourse. It can be during or after sex.
- Pain with bowel movements or urination during menstruation.
- Excessive bleeding during menstruation.
- Bleeding between periods, called menometrorrhagia.
- Other symptoms are fatigue, diarrhoea, constipation, bloating or nausea, especially during menstruation.
- Retrograde menstruation – here menstrual blood containing endometrial cells flows back through the fallopian tubes and into the pelvic cavity instead of out of the body and these cells stick to the pelvic walls and surfaces of pelvic organs.
- Transformation of peritoneal cells into endometrial cells due to the action of some hormones.
- Immune system disorder
- Endometrial cells transport by blood or tissue fluid.
- Surgical scar implantation. After surgeries like hysterectomy or C-section endometrial cells may attach to a surgical incision.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
It is a common endocrine system disorder among females of reproductive age.
The condition is characterized by an imbalance in the level of female sex hormones- estrogen and progesterone which induces the growth of small ovarian cysts.
These cysts are mostly benign in nature but they cause an imbalance in hormone levels.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS in Kerala is effective and safe.
PCOD is a syndrome that affects the ovaries and ovulation. Its three main features are;
- Cysts in ovaries
- High male hormone levels
- Irregular menstruation
- Hormonal imbalance
- Family history of PCOS
- Genetic reasons
- Elevated androgen hormone level
- Insulin resistance
- Excessive hair growth on the body and face.
- Abnormal weight gain
- Irregular menstruation
- Painful menstruation
- Pelvic pain
- Despondency and anxiety
- Problems related to fertility
CAUSES OF MENSTRUAL DISORDERS ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
- Increased intake of sour, salty, hot, pungent, heavy, and fermented food items.
- Intake of meat of fatty and domestic animals.
- Intake of alcoholic beverages
- Eating before the previous meal is digested.
- Menstrual disorders are also caused due to repeated abortions
- Excessive sexual activity
- Increased physical exertion like riding lifting heavy objects etc.
- Sleeping during day time
- Psychological conditions like grief, anger, etc.
- According to Ayurveda poor diet and improper digestion are the root causes of menstrual disorders.
- This improperly digested food leads to the production of toxins in the body
- These toxins enter the blood and are circulated by blood to deep tissues and channels.
- It results in blockage and stagnation resulting in a Dhatwagni mandhya.
- As a result of this, Vata dosha and Raktha dhatu get vitiated.
- The vitiated Vata, in turn, vitiates the blood, and hence the blood in channels carrying the Raja (menstrual blood) gets vitiated leading to menstrual disorders.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOD in Kerala is very effective and chemical-free.
Ayurvedic Treatment for menstrual disorders in Kerala
Ayurvedic Treatment for menstrual disorders in Kerala starts with the correction of Vata dosha.
Avoiding the factors responsible for vitiation of Vata dosha.
Avoiding strenuous activities during menstruation is very important.
Avoid the intake of fried foods and hot spicy foods.
Treatment includes nourishing and toning herbs and also rejuvenating therapies based on the nature of the disorder.
Along with internal medication, cleansing procedures can be done to remove the accumulated toxins which are the ultimate cause of the disease.
Special types of massages like Udvartana are effective in the management of body weight especially in conditions of PCOS.
Incorporation of meditation and yoga is very beneficial as stress plays a very important role in these disorders.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Easily digestible foods are to bee taken during the leriod of menstruation.
- Avoid taking pungent and spicy foods.
- Avoid eating oily and fried items.
- Take fruits like pomegranates.
- Avoid physical stress and also psychological stress.
- Avoid intake of alcohols
- Avoid intake of tea, coffee and ice-cold drinks. Instead of this drinks in room temperature can be taken and these drinks should have cooling properties like peppermint tea.
Natural Remedies for Menstrual Disorders and
- Taking black sesame seeds with jaggery is very effective in cases of amenorrhoea and delayed periods.
- Taking water boiled with fenugreek is effective in cases of dysmenorrhoea.
- Soups prepared with pomegranate and green gram are effective in cases of delayed menstruation like PCOS.