Nowadays, many diseases are caused by changes in the individual’s personal life and society over time.
Unhealthy lifestyles that the body cannot support lead one to illness.
Various ortho- muscular diseases affect the new generation due to changing lifestyles.
Improper sitting posture and other body positions and excessive use of certain joints are the leading causes.
Let us look at the possible Ayurvedic remedies and treatments for curing these ailments.
Neck pain is the main symptom of this disease which affects the vertebrae and discs of the neck. The condition is caused by wear and tear on the vertebrae, disc herniation, and nerve damage.
- Neck pain
- Pain inducing towards arms
- Numbness in the hands
- Headache and dizziness
- Unable to control bowel movements and urination.
Prolonged exposure of the neck in a particular direction can lead to cervical spondylosis. The disease is more common in people from different walks of life, such as those who work long hours in front of the computer, drivers, those who travel long distances on two-wheelers, porters, etc. In Ayurveda, this is rheumatism caused at the Kapha.
Among panchakarma, treatments like Virechanam, Vasthi, Nasyam, Rakthamokshanam are done during various stages of the disease.
Tennis elbow is a disease that affects the elbow.
As the name indicates, the condition is more common in tennis players who work continuously with their hands.
The disease is also seen commonly in people with minor injuries in the elbow and those engaged in work that involves rigorous use of the hands.
The leading cause of this disease is the rear caused on tendons that connect the elbows’ bone to the muscle.
- Pain and bloating in the elbow region
- Pain while lifting heavy objects
- Difficulty in bending the elbow
- The pain goes down from the elbow to the wrist.
Ayurveda prescribes snaya rheumatic and marma abhigatha treatment for tennis elbow patients.
Agni karma, various types of kizhi, dhara, etc., are carried out.
Agni karma (Thermal Cautery) is done with a specially prepared metal mixture. Some people get better relief with a single application itself.
Tinctures, pills, powders, remedies, medicines, etc., are used according to the disease conditions.
Carpel tunnel syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome, also known as median neuropathy, is caused by constriction of the median nerves in the wrist. The carpal tunnel is the narrow space between the bones of the wrist and above them.
- Those who constantly work on the mouse and keyboard on the computer may feel the constant constructions on the wrist.
- For drivers and people who play musical instruments continuously.
- Alcoholism and smoking reduce the blood flow towards the veins.
- The chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome is high in people with a condition like Hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, obese diabetic, pregnancy, etc.
- Pain spreads towards the upper arms and shoulders.
- The burning sensation inside of the palm
- Inability to have a strong grip
- If left untreated for a long time, the muscles of the hand may become numb and lose the ability to recognize the sense of hot and cold.
Treatment: treatments like snayuga batham, marmabhigatham, and kaphavaathaharam are very effective at various stages of the illness.
Home remedies for Carpel tunnel syndrome
Now let us look at the home remedies that can cure new generation’s diseases like carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, etc.
- Applying a mixture of areca nut flower rice and boiled rice gently is good for veins.
- Mix camphor oil with lemon juice and apply gently.
Frozen shoulder syndrome
Frozen shoulder syndrome is when the shoulder joint becomes swollen, and the joint becomes immobile over time.
The actual cause of the disease is not known, but the continuous misuse of the muscles and lack of proper exercise can cause minor swelling that becomes permanent in the long term.
This condition is seen along with diabetes and stroke.
- Shoulder movements get limited
- Severe shoulder pain ( especially at night time)
- Difficulty in raising hands
Ayurveda treats this as Apabhahukam. Several internal medicines, podikizhi, abhyanga, navarakizhi, drumstick Ela kizhi, etc., are also done. Nasya is the main practice among panchakarma,
For Apabahukam: after draining blood, have dasamoolam tincture mixed with milk and powdered sugar for shoulder pain.
Apply oil infused with cottonseed, rock salt, husks, Kalamaki, etc.
These treatments, which can be done in our household itself, are found to be very effective.
Nowadays, these diseases are ten times more prevalent due to the misguided lifestyles of the new generation, such as excessive use of computer smartphones, alcoholism, smoking, etc.
Although these causes are unavoidable, the new generation can prevent these diseases through their self-control.