Do you have back pain from working from home?
Most people work from home during this time of the pandemic.
Most companies offer employees the opportunity to work from home.
If you have a computer and an internet connection, you can move on from home.
But realize that while it is comfortable in the initial time, it is not a comfortable arrangement when implemented in the long run.
This is because work from home can lead to a variety of health and mental disorders.
Difference between the home atmosphere and office atmosphere.
The office environment set up for work may not be available while working from home.
Numerous studies have confirmed that work from home causes mental distress for many.
Health problems from working from home are also inevitable.
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), back pain is the most common manifestation of work-related disability.
You may experience back pain due to sudden movements, muscle sprains, stress, and lifting heavy objects.
People between the ages of 30 and 50 are more likely to have lower back pain.
It is also caused by changes in the body with age.
As you age, the amount of fluid between the vertebrae in the spine decreases.
This means that the discs in the spine are more easily damaged.
How does Work from home cause back pain?
Your spine is the part of your body that really affects your work-from-home lifestyle.
Because you spend eight, nine or more hours a day in front of a computer or laptop.
When you work in the office, you work in front of the computer, using office tables and chairs that you have carefully adjusted to.
But many who work from home may be the opposite.
You work on your laptop whether you are sitting or lying down properly.
These long-term tasks without proper seat adjustment can seriously affect your spine.
Work as it seems Many people work from home regardless of time and place while working from home.
Sometimes getting up in the morning and going straight to the front of the laptop.
But our body and mind need some warm-up before we can get to work in the morning which is unavailable in this scenario. After work, you move on to recreation.
Also, you need to refresh yourself at home with limited facilities.
In short, it means you spend your days very boringly within four walls.
Need for rest You need to give them time to rest to keep your back, neck, eyes, and brain healthy.
So your work-from-home health problems can be serious if you do not make some major lifestyle changes.
How do get rid of back pain and other diseases due to work from home?
Here are some things you need to take to get rid of the problems that lead to back pain, restlessness, muscle tension, and even sleep disorders.
- Create an atmosphere at home where you can do your chores.
- To do this, set up a table, chairs, and proper lighting in a room.
- Sit up straight while working in front of a computer or laptop.
- Perform light stretching from time to time.
- Get up and walk from time to time without sitting still.
- Take a break, our body is under a lot of physical and emotional stress when it’s time to lock up at home away from the outside world because it’s lockdown time. A lot of things happen in the workplace. But now many are leading more controlled lives than ever before.
- Take long breaks while sitting and working for long periods of time. This allows blood to flow to the legs, thereby reducing muscle strain.
Likewise, regular back and neck exercises are needed to relieve muscle discomfort in the back and neck.
Do short stretching exercises daily for the neck, shoulders, and back.
Strengthen the major muscles of the abdomen, back, and buttocks.
Maintain physical flexibility with simple stretching exercises for the neck, back, and nerves.
Don’t ignore your body signals.
Most of the time, when we sit for a long time, we feel numbness in our back, spine or neck pain.
But many ignore it. But, all these signs are actually your body’s request for help.
Do not ignore these signals. When considering these, the first thing to do is prevent them.
Everyone should know the limits of their physical abilities and stop what they are doing just before crossing the line.
When you have these symptoms, get up, walk a little, do some stretching, take deep breaths and move your neck and muscles.
When you resume work, try another sitting position if possible.
We have often heard that sitting all day at work is extremely harmful to health.
But most of the time we don’t take it so seriously.
But the matter is not be regarded as unimportant.
Serious health problems await those who sit and work for hours.
Most IT professionals face problems due to these long hours of continuous work seated.
Let see what are the common ailments faced by those involved in start-ups and the IT sector.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: This is a problem with the main nerve in the wrist. It starts with small pain. Then it may even lead to the paralysis of entire wrists.
Remedy – Sit about 2 feet away from the computer screen. While typing, align the wrists straight and the arm should be bent at a 90% angle.
- Back pain: Try not to sit continuously for long hours. Remember that sitting can affect the spine if the structure is not correct.
Remedy- Support the base of the spine. It can be a small pillow or a cushion. It is also enough to fold a thick towel and get the support. Also, try to stand up walk in between work hours.
Heart Disease – There is a connection between heart disease and working for long hours seated.
When you sit and work for a long time, you will accumulate a lot of body fat.
This may cause blockage in the heart. Gradually, there is a chance of the occurrence of heart disease.
Body aches – This can also be caused by prolonged sitting.
It starts with severe pain in the neck, hips, and back.
Sitting in the right posture to prevent it.
Can diseases such as Poor posture syndrome affect the brain?
A study conducted by the University of California found that sitting for a long time can even damage the brain.
It can damage certain cells in the brain.
- Weight gain – No doubt you gain weight with a lot of fat.
- Also increased chance of Diabetes – Diabetes is more common in people who do not engage in sedentary activities.
- Varicose Veins – Prolonged sitting can increase the pressure on the nerves in the legs. This is the cause of varicose veins. Remedy – Get up, walk or do light exercise for at least five minutes every 30 minutes. It relaxes the body. These 7 diseases are waiting for those in the IT sector.
- Neck pain (cervical spondylitis) may be due to incorrect sitting position and seat structure. If the monitor is at the wrong angle, there will be pressure. Remedy – Adjust the height of the chair. The head can be turned back and forth from time to time.
Natural Home Remedies
- Apply equal amounts of coconut oil and lemon juice to the affected area. The pain will subside quickly.
- Drink honey mixed with crushed juice of touch me not leaves in the morning and evening.
- Placing bran tied in a towel ( to form a kizhi) in the hip region will relieve the pain.
- Mixing turmeric powder and jaggery to lukewarm milk and having reduced pain.
Some of the ingredients that relieve back pain:
Turmeric is a good remedy for back pain. Curcumin in it is very helpful in relieving neurological pain.
Heat 10 cloves of garlic in coconut oil and massage in the middle. This will provide relief from back pain.
Calcium and Vitamin D.
Eat a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D. This will also help in relieving back pain. It is a solution to bone-related problems.
Drinking ginger juice and drinking ginger tea are good remedies for back pain.
Lifestyle changes to prevent back pain
- Eating a healthy diet can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly to keep your external muscles healthy and flexible.
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time.
- When you are seated, sit in a good position.
- Avoid situations where your spine stays frozen for a long time.
- Get enough sleep every day.
- Develop healthy habits.
If you are suffering from severe back pain have a look at our Ayurvedic Treatment for Back Pain in Kerala